Working at height involves working at a place which above or below ground level, where a person can be injured if fallen. Electrician’s job is not a kids play, it involves huge risks of electric shocks and falling from heights at work.
Work at Height Involves:
- Working on Ladder.
- Working above ground level near the excavation.
- Working near fragile materials.
- Erecting formwork.
- Working on a sloped roof.
- Working on bridge with short spans.
- Working on electrical poles and huge transformers.
- Working underground as many countries have underground electrical linings.
- Working on network antennas.
Above are few examples of what working at heights actually means. The government of all the countries has setup few regulations for people involves in risky jobs.
Safety Measure for Electricians Working at Height:
- Before the starting of work, perform a risk assessment test to check the pit holes and risks involved.
- Whereever possible, try to redesign the workplace or the task to minimize the need of working at height.
- Fall Prevention and Precaution: Every electrician must undergo Fall Protection and Prevention training course, where you learn about the various systems employed to achieve cent percent fall prevention. Getting trained in height safety will qualify you to get a working at height job. Safety training should also teach safety management and to determine the dangers of each task and ways to overcome it.
- Rescue: Rescue of victims who’ve fallen from height on-site or off site should be immediate, there must always be a provision for emergencies at the site. Workmen should be trained to self rescue while falling.
- Use of safety systems: There should be a Travel restraint, fall arrest systems and associated anchorages at the site. And all the workmen should be trained to use such systems under appropriate supervision.
- Tool Tethering: The best safety method for securing and tethering of hand tools is to directly attach them to the worker. Safety harness should be always on the worker.
- Avoid using heavy tools while working at height, they should be replaced by light power tools that are handy and it will be better to keep an assistant while working at height, who will give you the required tools.
- Use of Ladder: Better use a step platform ladder as they provide a larger and more stable surface than other types of ladders. While standing on ladder be active and stand on a point of ascending and descending. Do not use the ladder at balconies and verandas where the potential of falling is high.
These are the basic precautions to be taken by not only emergency electrician, but all the workers at construction and demolition sites. Use the machines verified by the local inspectors and keep checking them every week. Though there are latest machinery in the industry but they are still under experts supervision.