Are you charged with a criminal case recently? There is a chance that you have searched high and low for an Ottawa defence lawyer until you found the right one for you. The lawyer might have come from a reputable and well respected criminal law firm or you may have chosen to hire an independent lawyer whom you know can represent you quite well. At this point, you probably understand the need to hire a defense lawyer. A criminal defence lawyer Morrisburg will prepare your case for trial among others.
Your defense lawyer will let you know that there are some things that you can and you cannot do to help your case. If you are going to represent yourself, there is a chance that even if you have already researched and read about the different things that you can or cannot do, you might think that you can get away with some of the things that you would like to do to improve your case. This can be punishable by criminal law. Having a criminal defense lawyer from a respected criminal law firm will stop you from doing the following:
- Hiring False Witnesses to Improve Your Case – Even if you are innocent, you may think that it is better if there are other people that can prove that you are innocent but you know that nobody has seen the incident so you would rather hire other people to pretend that they were there. Doing this will truly make your chances of winning slim.
- Changing Your Story to Improve Your Case – You may want to make it seem like you were never there in that situation when everybody knows that the reason why there is a case filed against you is because you are there.
- Improvising Stories to Improve Your Case – When you improvise, you can be sure that the judge and the jury will not be impressed. If you have a criminal defense lawyer and you try to do this, you will be given a lot of talking to.
Criminal lawyers will then inform you of the things that you should do so that you can be guided towards the right path.
- Speak the truth – Always and in every way possible, you have to be truthful about the things that you are going to say in court and even when you are telling your criminal lawyer about the situation that happened.
- Present Evidence – The defense lawyer will do this for you but your words have to be consistent with the evidence that will be provided in court otherwise, the judge and the jury will have reason to suspect that you are not telling the whole truth.
- Be Composed at All Times – Truth be told, it can be hard to feel calm and composed when there is a file set against you but you have to remember that in court, you would have to stay this way. If you are nervous, take a few deep breaths beforehand. You also have to make sure that you will make an effort to make your words clear and concise.
With the help of the criminal lawyers in Ottawa, you will be able to have the best case to present in court.